Subject: Re: linux-next: origin tree build failure

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:05:41 +0100

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 04:43:12PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I assume that broken driver is some ARM-specific thing. I certainly don't 
> want to see NO_IRQ in any general drivers. So instead of having that 
> NO_IRQ insanity spread any more, I'd much rather see the driver either 
> fixed to not use it, or just marked ARM-only.

It's not ARM-specific, though the overwhelming majority of users will be
ARM systems (it's an embedded PMIC) - I'll post a patch tomorrow
changing it to check for non-zero IRQ instead.  That makes other bits of
the driver easier, anyway.

> The proper way to test for whether an interrupt is valid or not is to do

> 	if (dev->irq) {
> 		...

> and no other. There is no spoon. That NO_IRQ was insane. And architectures 
> or drivers that still think otherwise should fix themselves.

That would be people on the ARM list.  Unless I misremember I first
heard about using NO_IRQ from the ARM list in connection with another
(much less ARM-specific) driver only within the past six months.