Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the bdev tree

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:14:23 +0100

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:58:42AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> Yes, the common ide-{disk,floppy}.c code resides now in ide-gd.c.
> 
> > I got a bit harder after that ... so I have again dropped the bdev for
> > today.
> 
> This may be actually my fault since I remember Al asking me about some
> conflicting
> changes during KS/LPC? (though I later forgot about it).
> 
> Al, is stuff in bdev-next going in during this merge window?  If so
> please push it
> to Linus ASAP and I'll take care of fixing IDE patches.  Otherwise I'm
> going to push
> IDE stuff to Linus and you'll have to fixup bdev-next. ;-)

As the matter of fact, I've got bdev-next variant covering ide-gd, so
if you can push the relevant ide patch(es) to Linus, bdev would be ready
to go.  Or I can push the mainline-based variant and send the pieces
that affect ide-gd your way (basically, it's a matter of f_mode/f_flags
stuff being touched in ide-gd instead of ide-floppy, converting your
disk_ops->ioctl() to sane prototype and converting ide-gd.c to new
bdev method prototypes).  Up to you...

Al, trying to order the VFS patch-pile into mergable shape right now...