Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the net tree

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:21:31 -0800 (PST)

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:24:53 +1100

> Hi David,
> 
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:00:49 -0800 (PST) David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up.  There will be even more conflicts,
> > between net-2.6 and net-next-2.6, that will need resolving
> > as well.
> 
> Is there some reason that you can't merge net-next-2.6 into net-2.6 when
> these conflicts arise?

What usually happens is I wait for Linus to take net-2.6 into
his tree (in case he doesn't like what I have pending and
I thus have to respin to eliminate the offending commits).

Once that happens I pull Linus's tree into net-2.6 and then
I pull net-2.6 into net-next-2.6

This resolves all the conflicts and at the same time avoids
the situation where my entire set of trees are ruined because
something inappropriate propagated into net-2.6 and this
poisons net-next-2.6 too if I just pull it in there before
Linus does decide to take it.

So when Linus takes my current pull request, I'll fix up the
conflicts.