Subject: [PATCH 0/1] ring-buffer: disable tracing switch

From: Steven Rostedt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:06:01 -0500

Stephen and Ingo,

I've been pressured into making this patch for mainline. It is a low risk
patch, but I would like to get it into linux-next.

This patch adds a way for a kernel developer to stop all tracers from
within the kernel and restart it from userspace. The previous APIs that
allowed for kernel stopping the tracer did not allow for userspace to
restart. This was mainly because the stopping could be for areas that
are dangerous to be tracing, and allowing userspace to start them could
risk the system stability.

This switch is made to let userspace interact with the kernel space
in starting and stopping tracers.

The following patches are in:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/linux-2.6-trace.git

    branch: devel

Steven Rostedt (1):
      ring-buffer: buffer record on/off switch

----
 include/linux/ring_buffer.h |    3 +
 kernel/trace/ftrace.c       |    8 +---
 kernel/trace/ring_buffer.c  |  101 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 106 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

--