Subject: Re: Can you add the staging tree to -next?

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:32:58 -0800

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:42:48AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> > I'm starting to get people sending me patches against -next for the
> > drivers/staging/ tree that don't apply as -next does not include my
> > quilt tree of staging patches.
> > 
> > Can you please pick it up?  You can put it at the end of your series,
> > and the 'make allmodconfig' option disables building anything in the
> > drivers/staging/ subdirectory, so it should not have any build or merge
> > conflicts with anything.
> 
> Apart from the patches you receive against -next, is there any other
> advantage, giving staging is disabled?

That is a huge advantage, don't discount it.  My staging tree has over
150 patches in it right now, and is quite diverged from what is in
Linus's tree.  I have been getting the same patches sent over and over
to fix the same thing that is already resolved in my tree, as the
developers are working against -next thinking that they were working
with the latest development tree.

This will save a lot of redundant developer time, a good thing.

It also lets me test -next with -staging in it so I can anticipate the
merge issues that will be happening in the next big merge (v4l is going
to have issues that I've noticed already.)

thanks,

greg k-h