Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the perfmon3 tree

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:33:45 +0100

* stephane eranian <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So I am not sure I understand your point about submitting the 
> changes to the x86 tree first.

You are modifying x86 architecture files to enable a kernel feature on 
x86. Such feature enablement, if it's pushed into linux-next, must go 
via the arch maintainers.

The x86 impact of the perfmon3 tree is substantial:

 arch/x86/Kconfig                               |    2 +
 arch/x86/Makefile                              |    3 +
 arch/x86/ia32/ia32entry.S                      |    5 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/Kbuild                    |    1 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/irq_vectors.h             |    5 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/mach-default/entry_arch.h |    4 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/perfmon.h                 |   34 ++
 arch/x86/include/asm/perfmon_kern.h            |  438 +++++++++++++++++
 arch/x86/include/asm/thread_info.h             |    8 +-
 arch/x86/include/asm/unistd_32.h               |    5 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/unistd_64.h               |   11 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/entry_32.S                     |    2 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.S                     |    8 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/irqinit_64.c                   |    5 +
 arch/x86/kernel/process_32.c                   |   10 +
 arch/x86/kernel/process_64.c                   |   10 +
 arch/x86/kernel/signal_32.c                    |    5 +
 arch/x86/kernel/signal_64.c                    |    5 +
 arch/x86/kernel/syscall_table_32.S             |    5 +
 arch/x86/oprofile/nmi_int.c                    |   10 +-
 arch/x86/perfmon/Kconfig                       |   33 ++
 arch/x86/perfmon/Makefile                      |    7 +
 arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c                     |  619 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon_amd64.c               |  483 ++++++++++++++++++
 arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon_intel_arch.c          |  628 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 25 files changed, 2340 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

linux-next is not a development kernel - it is an integration tree 
simulating the next version of the upstream kernel and hence all trees 
that are in it must be synced up (and in this case, go via) their 
respective maintainers.

Thanks,

	Ingo