Subject: Re: drivers/x86 (Was: Re: linux-next: Tree for November 28 (misc/tc1100))

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:34:14 +0100

* Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Len,
> 
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:55:08 -0800 Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/misc/tc1100-wmi.o', needed by `drivers/misc/built-in.o'.
> > 
> > on allmodconfig & allyesconfig for i386.
> > 
> > On, moved to drivers/x86/.  Someone needs to clean up drivers/misc/Makefile.
> 
> Just wondering where the move to drivers/x86 was discussed, (reviewed 
> and tested) and why the change is in the acpi tree and not the x86 
> tree?

it will all conflict with pending bits in the x86 tree, so i'd prefer if 
Len did this atomically after 2.6.29-rc1, without it having this 
long-term breakage effect.

Historically drivers/misc/ has been more active via the ACPI tree. (Len 
being the (in-)voluntary maintainer for those platform details)

So drivers/x86/ makes sense i guess. Eventually the really lowlevel bits 
might move to arch/x86/drivers/ or so - but i've got no strong opinion on 
it. There seems to be enough precedent of existing drivers/$ARCH 
hierarchies.

	Ingo