Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2] create drivers/platform/x86/ from drivers/misc/

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:48:42 +0100

* Len Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sam, Henrique,
> I've responded to your feedback in v2, which follows.
> 
> Ingo,
> this version does not touch arch/x86/

the problem isnt the bits that touch arch/x86/, but that we carry these 
commits:

 fbc2a06: Merge branch 'linus' into x86/uv
 a3d732f: x86, UV: fix redundant creation of sgi_uv
 7d9d1f2: sgi-xp: support getting the address of a partition's reserved page
 31de5ec: sgi-xp: define xp_partition_id and xp_region_size
 2525789: sgi-xp: create activate and notify gru message queues
 6c1c325: sgi-xp: define xp_expand_memprotect() and xp_restrict_memprotect()

their drivers/misc impact is significant:

 drivers/misc/sgi-gru/grufault.c  |    4 +-
 drivers/misc/sgi-gru/gruprocfs.c |    1 -
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xp.h         |    7 +-
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xp_main.c    |    7 +
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xp_sn2.c     |   34 +++++
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xp_uv.c      |   70 +++++++++-
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xpc.h        |   12 ++
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xpc_sn2.c    |   15 +--
 drivers/misc/sgi-xp/xpc_uv.c     |  290 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 10 files changed, 368 insertions(+), 74 deletions(-)

And we'll likely get new commits in that space.

So if this is causing conflicts in linux-next then i'd suggest for you to 
please do this "git mv drivers/misc/ drivers/x86/" rename (with which i 
fully agree!) right after v2.6.29-rc1 - or near the end of the -rc1 merge 
window.

In any case, please keep it in a separate branch in the ACPI tree so that 
we can reconsider the ordering of this change in the future as well - 
should it cause problems.

Thanks,

	Ingo