Subject: Re: [PATCH] simnet: convert to net_device_ops

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:57:28 -0800 (PST)

From: Alexey Dobriyan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:08:27 +0300

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 05:11:17PM +0300, Alexander Beregalov wrote:
> >   CC      arch/ia64/hp/sim/simeth.o
> > arch/ia64/hp/sim/simeth.c: In function 'simeth_probe1':
> > arch/ia64/hp/sim/simeth.c:212: error: 'struct net_device' has no member named 'open'
> 
> [PATCH] simeth: convert to net_device_ops
> 
> Signed-off-by: Alexey Dobriyan <[email-masked]>

This doesn't explain the build failure.

Using ->open() and friends should work perfectly fine for drivers not
yet converted to netdev_ops.  The code protected by COMPAT_NET_DEV_OPS
provides this, and we force that Kconfig option to always be on.

I don't want to add this patch and just shrug off this build failure.
If this build failures, we should be seeing 200 other drivers not
build too.

I suspect something is messed up with this person's kernel config
or similar.