Subject: Re: [BUG] next-20081216 - WARNING: at kernel/smp.c:333 smp_call_function_mask

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:33:54 +0100

* Sam Ravnborg <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 02:05:47AM -0800, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> > Kamalesh Babulal wrote:
> > > * Yinghai Lu <[email-masked]> [2008-12-24 12:34:41]:
> > > 
> > >> --
> > > 
> > > After the applying the patch, the kernel panic's with the same backtrace. The
> > > box is running Fedora 5 on it.
> > > 
> > 
> > please try...
> > Ingo, do we need to switch to use #idef and inline function instead?
> 
> I recall David Howells had a similar issue with the bootparamter patch set.
> The workaround he used was to add a barrier(); call in the weak function
> to avoid the inline.

could we add some extra attribute to __weak that would have a similar 
effect? Something like __attribute__((noinline)), or something silly like 
__attribute__((deprecated)) - just to keep gcc from screwing up __weak 
functions? Perhaps adding a section attribute would have a similar effect? 
(putting weak definitions into an extra section is probably helpful 
anyway)

	Ingo