Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for February 2 (iwlwifi)

From: Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:34:01 -0800

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:16:37 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
> Changes since 20090126:

a.  optional drivers such as iwlwifi should not default to 'y':

config IWLWIFI
	bool "Intel Wireless Wifi"
	depends on PCI && MAC80211 && WLAN_80211 && EXPERIMENTAL
	default y

b.  Are there cases where IWLCORE is not needed?  I.e., why is it
even a kconfig option?

c.  The attached config causes beaucoup build errors with:
CONFIG_IWLWIFI=y
# CONFIG_IWLCORE is not set
# CONFIG_IWLAGN is not set
CONFIG_IWL3945=y
# CONFIG_IWL3945_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT is not set
CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y

like:
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_stop':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16b7ae): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_send_power_mode':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16b8e0): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_activate_qos':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16b995): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_send_rxon_assoc':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ba38): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_sync'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_get_tx_stats':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16be5a): undefined reference to `iwl_queue_space'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_add_station':
(.text+0x16c0c1): undefined reference to `iwl_send_add_sta'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_commit_rxon':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c50d): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c55c): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c5d0): undefined reference to `iwl_bcast_addr'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_reset_tsf':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c727): undefined reference to `iwl_reset_qos'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c7b7): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_set_key':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c817): undefined reference to `iwl_bcast_addr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c84e): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c93f): undefined reference to `iwl_send_add_sta'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16c9e2): undefined reference to `iwl_send_add_sta'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_remove_interface':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ca43): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_send_beacon_cmd':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16cba7): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_post_associate':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16cc4c): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16cc89): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_beacon_update':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ce2d): undefined reference to `iwl_reset_qos'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_connection_init_rx_config':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16cf01): undefined reference to `iwl_get_channel_info'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_set_rxon_channel':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16cf6a): undefined reference to `iwl_get_channel_info'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_tx':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16d668): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16d681): undefined reference to `iwl_queue_space'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16d6b7): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_rx_queue_restock':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16d773): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_space'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16d7f0): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_update_write_ptr'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_rx_reply_error':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16d94f): undefined reference to `get_cmd_string'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_bg_alive_start':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16dc36): undefined reference to `iwl_send_bt_config'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_add_interface':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16dec7): undefined reference to `iwl_get_channel_info'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16df47): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_rx_card_state_notif':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e27c): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_config':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e3de): undefined reference to `iwl_get_channel_info'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e45a): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e497): undefined reference to `iwl_send_card_state'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `store_filter_flags':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e672): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `store_flags':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e6f7): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_mac_config_interface':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e8eb): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16e9b6): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ea47): undefined reference to `iwl_bcast_addr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ea91): undefined reference to `iwl_scan_cancel_timeout'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_irq_tasklet':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ecc4): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_update_write_ptr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ecd1): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ecde): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16eceb): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ecf8): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ed05): undefined reference to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr'
drivers/built-in.o:iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ed12): more undefined references to `iwl_txq_update_write_ptr' follow
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_irq_tasklet':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ed4d): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_space'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `show_statistics':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16f2f3): undefined reference to `iwl_send_statistics_request'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_bg_request_scan':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16f94f): undefined reference to `iwl_fill_probe_req'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16f9b8): undefined reference to `iwl_get_active_dwell_time'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16f9c7): undefined reference to `iwl_get_passive_dwell_time'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16fa2d): undefined reference to `iwl_get_channel_info'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16faf5): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_sync'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_pci_probe':
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16fc09): undefined reference to `iwl_alloc_all'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16fd9b): undefined reference to `iwl_eeprom_init'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16fee0): undefined reference to `iwl_reset_qos'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ff49): undefined reference to `iwl_init_channel_map'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x16ff95): undefined reference to `iwlcore_init_geos'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x170044): undefined reference to `iwl_free_channel_map'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x170265): undefined reference to `iwl_bg_rf_kill'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x1703c9): undefined reference to `iwl_bg_scan_completed'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x170449): undefined reference to `iwl_bg_abort_scan'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x170485): undefined reference to `iwl_bg_scan_check'
iwl3945-base.c:(.text+0x1705b1): undefined reference to `iwlcore_free_geos'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_hw_txq_ctx_free':
(.text+0x1717c4): undefined reference to `iwl_tx_queue_free'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_sync_sta':
(.text+0x1718da): undefined reference to `iwl_send_add_sta'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_send_tx_power':
(.text+0x171de5): undefined reference to `iwl_get_channel_info'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_send_tx_power':
(.text+0x171e8b): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_hw_nic_init':
(.text+0x171f2d): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_alloc'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_hw_nic_init':
(.text+0x171f65): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_reset'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_hw_nic_init':
(.text+0x172149): undefined reference to `iwl_tx_queue_init'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_rx_reply_tx':
iwl-3945.c:(.text+0x1724d2): undefined reference to `iwl_queue_space'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_init_hw_rate_table':
(.text+0x172612): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_init_hw_rate_table':
(.text+0x17262d): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd_pdu'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl_send_led_cmd':
iwl-3945-led.c:(.text+0x173508): undefined reference to `iwl_send_cmd'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `iwl3945_pci_remove':
iwl3945-base.c:(.devexit.text+0x14c3): undefined reference to `iwl_rx_queue_free'
iwl3945-base.c:(.devexit.text+0x153a): undefined reference to `iwl_free_channel_map'
iwl3945-base.c:(.devexit.text+0x1541): undefined reference to `iwlcore_free_geos'
drivers/built-in.o:(.data+0x15944): undefined reference to `iwlcore_eeprom_verify_signature'
drivers/built-in.o:(.data+0x15954): undefined reference to `iwlcore_eeprom_query_addr'
make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

---
~Randy