Subject: linux-next: arm tree build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:27:55 +1100

Hi Russell,

Today's linux-next build (arm versatile_defconfig and many other configs)
failed like this:

  AS      usr/initramfs_data.o
arch/arm/include/asm/unwind.h: Assembler messages:
arch/arm/include/asm/unwind.h:68: Error: Bad macro parameter list
arch/arm/include/asm/unwind.h: Assembler messages:
arch/arm/include/asm/unwind.h:68: Error: arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.S:26: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.S:27: Error: Bad macro parameter listbad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.S:44: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:158: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:158: Error: bad instruction `unwind .save{r0-pc}'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:202: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:207: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:207: Error: bad instruction `unwind .save{r0-pc}'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:235: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:258: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:258: Error: bad instruction `unwind .save{r0-pc}'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:286: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:291: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:291: Error: bad instruction `unwind .save{r0-pc}'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:329: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:405: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:405: Error: bad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:432: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:437: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:437: Error: bad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:463: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:470: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:470: Error: bad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:498: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:673: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:673: Error: bad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:686: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:692: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:693: Error: bad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:697: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:707: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnstart'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:708: Error: bad instruction `unwind .cantunwind'
arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:738: Error: bad instruction `unwind .fnend'

Presumably caused by commit 7e4e372df35c93e8f2693fd37010cec05c57ff47
("[ARM] 5383/1: unwind: Add core support for ARM stack unwinding").

Does this require a particular binutils version?
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/