Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tracing tree with the parisc tree

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:05:12 +0200

* Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the tracing tree got a conflict in
> arch/parisc/include/asm/ftrace.h between commit
> d75f054a2cf0614ff63d534ff21ca8eaab41e713 ("parisc: add ftrace (function
> and graph tracer) functionality") from the parisc tree and commit
> c79a61f55773d2519fd0525bf58385f7d20752d3 ("tracing: make CALLER_ADDRx
> overwriteable") from the tracing tree.
> 
> The former adds a non-trivial version of the file, so I used that.

You need to be careful, the two trees likely cannot be combined like 
that, ftrace will likely stop working on parisc because you combine 
old-parisc with new-ftrace.

If the two trees are integrated without forward-porting the parisc 
ftrace port to the new facilities, then it's safer to do a trivial 
patch that disables the ftrace bits on parisc.

	Ingo