Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the driver-core tree with the tracing tree

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:22:56 -0700

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 03:01:15PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the driver-core tree got a conflict in
> init/main.c between commit 02af61bb50f5d5f0322dbe5ab2a0d75808d25c7b
> ("tracing, kmemtrace: Separate include/trace/kmemtrace.h to kmemtrace
> part and tracepoint part") from the tracing tree and commit
> e6a9527dba81973b8fe7000f42c84b2ffbe98d65 ("driver-core: devtmpfs - driver
> core maintained /dev tmpfs") from the driver-core tree.
> 
> Just simple overlapping additions.  I fixed it up (see below) and can
> carry the fix as necessary.

Thanks, it's a pretty trivial merge.

> [Aside:  the first I can find of this is the patch submission to LKML
> within the last day ... so "posted, reviewed, unit tested"?  I assume
> this has had some discussion somewhere, but Google doesn't know where.]

It was posted today for discussion, which didn't seem to happen.

It has been unit tested a lot in SuSE's kernels with review from our
kernel developers (hence the 3 signed-off-bys).   We use it to speed up
booting a lot because we have to use an initramfs (like all distros need
to for various reasons.)  It aleviates the udev coldplug issues a lot,
and the embedded developers have been very happy to see this (for some
reason they only like writing private emails, not to the list, which is
unfortunate.)

thanks,

greg k-h