Subject: Re: linux-next: block tree build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:54:26 +1000

Hi Martin,

On Mon, 25 May 2009 01:38:26 -0400 "Martin K. Petersen" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> The accessor function patch in my patch series was explicitly put in
> place to enable changing the API without affecting users.  And we've
> tried to be careful about staging these patches in the right order
> throughout all the involved trees.

What you really need is to have the patches that introduce the accessors
in a tree common to all the possible users of them.  In practise this
often means Linus' tree - in which case the patches should introduce noop
versions of the accessors.  If that is possible, Linus is quite happy to
take those patches after which all the other users can take the
conversions into their own tree and everyone is happy.  :-)

Currently the patches that introduce the accessors only exist in the
block tree ...

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/