Subject: Re: linux-next: origin tree build failure

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:20:54 +0200

* Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 10:24 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> 
> > From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:14:22 +1000
> > Subject: [PATCH] perfcounters: remove powerpc definitions of perf_counter_do_pending
> > 
> > Commit 925d519ab82b6dd7aca9420d809ee83819c08db2 ("perf_counter:
> > unify and fix delayed counter wakeup") added global definitions.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
> 
> Acked-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>

Ah - thanks. The bug was caused by me being a bit too optimistic in 
applying the shiny-new Power7 support patches on the last day. (nice 
CPU btw.)

> Linus, please apply. BTW, This is _EXACTLY_ why this should have 
> been in -next for a few days before being merged :-(

Not really: for example current upstream is build-broken on x86 due 
to an integration artifact via the kmemleak tree - despite it having 
been in linux-next for months.

Paulus was building and booting powerpc on a daily basis and i ran 
cross-builds as well.

Such bugs happen, and they are easy enough to fix. What matters 
arent the 1-2 short-lived bugs that do happen when a new combination 
of trees is created, but the long-lived combination bugs and 
conflicts.

	Ingo