Subject: Re: linux-next: origin tree build failure

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:07:30 +0200

* Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 15:44 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> 
> > This is certainly doable for agreeable features - which is the bulk 
> > - and it is being done.
> > 
> > But this is a catch-22 for _controversial_ new features - which 
> > perfcounters clearly was, in case you turned off your lkml 
> > subscription ;-)
> 
> I didn't :-) My point here is that Linus can make a decision with 
> an email -before- merging so that -next gets a chance, at least 
> for a couple of days, to do the integration testing once the 
> controversy has been sorted by his highness.

Uhm, the bug you are making a big deal of would have been found and 
fixed by Paulus a few hours after any such mail - and probably by me 
too as i do daily cross builds to Power.

So yes, we had a bug, but any extra linux-next hoops would not have 
prevented it: i could still have messed up by getting lured by that 
nice piece of Power7 hardware enablement patch on the last day ;-)

So the bug was my fault for being too fast-and-loose with that 
particular patch, creating a ~5-commits-hop build breakage bisection 
window on Power.

Now that i'm sufficiently chastised, can we now move on please? :)

	Ingo