Subject: Re: linux-next: origin tree build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:54:51 +1000

Hi Ingo,

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:44:28 +0200 Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> In terms of test coverage, at least for our trees, less than 1% of 
> the bugs we handle get reported in a linux-next context - and most 
> of the bugs that get reported (against say the scheduler tree) are 
> related to rare architectures.

I expect that most bugs get reported and fixed before code gets to
linux-next (in fact one of the prerequisites for being in linux-next is
that code has been tested as well as possible).

> In fact, i checked, there were _zero_ x86 bugs reported against 
> linux-next and solved against it between v2.6.30-rc1 and v2.6.30:
> 
>    git log --grep=next -i v2.6.30-rc1..v2.6.30 arch/x86/
> 
> Doing it over the full cycle shows one commit altogether - a Xen 
> build failure. In fact, i just checked the whole stabilization cycle 
> for the whole kernel (v2.6.30-rc1..v2.6.30-final), and there were 
> only 5 linux-next originated patches, most of them build failures.

Nice set of figures.  For some other context, between April 6 and June 9
(2.6.30-rc1 to 2.6.30) I sent 50 emails with subjects like "linux-next:
xxx tree build failure".  What results from those emails?  I sometimes
don't even hear back.  Almost all of the failures get fixed.

A lot of these probably also get discovered independently.  I don't
really care as long as they do get fixed.

One of those failures was a sparc build failure due to a change in the
tip-core tree (see commit d2de688891909b148efe83a6fc9520a9cd6015f0).
Another report produced commit 27b19565fe4ca5b0e9d2ae98ce4b81ca728bf445.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/