Subject: linux-next submission requirements (Was: [RFC PATCH] linker script: unify usage of discard definition)

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:34:48 +1000

Hi Tejun,

[This is not aimed just at you ... this patch just gave me an
opportunity to point this out again.]

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 08:37:28 +0900 Tejun Heo <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> This patch is on top of the current percpu#for-next.
> 
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/percpu.git for-next
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> NOT_SIGNED_OFF_YET

Well, given no SOB and that this is a RFC patch, it should *not* be in a
branch that is pulled into linux-next.

This is what I send to any maintainer that submits a tree for linux-next
inclusion (and before anyone else points it out: this was not true early
on):

"all patches/commits in the tree/series must have been:

	posted to a relevant mailing list
	reviewed
	unit tested
	destined for the next merge window (or the current release)

*before* they are included.  The linux-next tree is for integration
testing and to lower the impact of conflicts between subsystems in the
next merge window.

Basically, this should be just what you would send to Linus (or ask him
to fetch).  It is allowed to be rebased if you deem it necessary."

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/