Subject: Re: linux-next: sound tree build failure

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:56:20 -0700

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:29:35AM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Takashi,
> 
> Today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig) failed like this:
> 
> sound/soc/codecs/ad1938.c: In function 'ad1938_spi_probe':
> sound/soc/codecs/ad1938.c:423: error: 'struct device' has no member named 'driver_data'
> sound/soc/codecs/ad1938.c: In function 'ad1938_spi_remove':
> sound/soc/codecs/ad1938.c:430: error: 'struct device' has no member named 'driver_data'
> 
> Caused by commit 1274738d85d0e25c4f82d83f50a6bcbe2397e9ea ("ASoC: new
> ad1938 codec driver based on asoc") interacting with commit
> 2e34003ff6237e2216396d61dc8b32ea5959de80 ("Driver core: move
> dev_get/set_drvdata to drivers/base/dd.c") from the driver-core.current
> tree (which will, I assume, be sent to Linus shortly - right, Greg?).

It turned out to be "too late" to make the change, I missed the -rc2
window, so it will be a .32 thing.

I'll move it from my driver-core.current to my driver-core tree to clear
up any confusion.

But yes, the apis should be used instead of directly accessing the
fields.

thanks,

greg k-h