Subject: Re: Boot failure on x86_64 (OOPS set_cpu_sibling_map() )

From: Borislav Petkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:56:23 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 04:55:44PM +0530, Sachin Sant wrote:
> Today's Next failed to boot on a x86_64 box with following traces
> 
> ACPI: Core revision 20090625
> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)
> IP: [<ffffffff81328c7b>] set_cpu_sibling_map+0x24f/0x353

I can't trigger it here, please send me your .config. In the meantime,
you could try the following:

--
diff --git a/arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c b/arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c
index 3ede593..5fd57fe 100644
--- a/arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c
+++ b/arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c
@@ -1070,6 +1070,7 @@ void __init native_smp_prepare_cpus(unsigned int max_cpus)
 	for_each_possible_cpu(i) {
 		zalloc_cpumask_var(&per_cpu(cpu_sibling_map, i), GFP_KERNEL);
 		zalloc_cpumask_var(&per_cpu(cpu_core_map, i), GFP_KERNEL);
+		zalloc_cpumask_var(&per_cpu(cpu_node_map, i), GFP_KERNEL);
 		zalloc_cpumask_var(&cpu_data(i).llc_shared_map, GFP_KERNEL);
 	}
 	set_cpu_sibling_map(0);
-- 
1.6.3.3

-- 
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Operating | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
  System  | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach b. München, Germany
 Research | Geschäftsführer: Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
  Center  | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München
  (OSRC)  | Registergericht München, HRB Nr. 43632