Subject: Re: linux-next: i2c tree build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:59:05 +1000

Hi Jean,

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:16:47 +0200 Jean Delvare <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> OK, thanks for the clarification. I did not notice Greg had split some
> of his trees that way. Makes sense.
> 
> > It you decide to leave that patch out and
> > change the dependency, please let me know as I will then have to merge
> > your tree after Greg's (it is currently earlier.
> 
> Regardless of what I do, I think it would make sense to merge
> driver-core before driver subsystem trees. I would insert if before pci.

I merge driver-core near the end because it often has API changes in it
and Linus suggested that the pain of API changes should be with the
changer.

> I am also surprised that I would have to tell you. What is the purpose
> of the NEXT_BASE tag if you do not check for dependencies automatically?

I use the tag to choose the base when I import the quilt series into git.
So far I have not needed to automate the ordering of the imports.

> Anyway, if you say git can deal with duplicate patches OK, then I think
> I'll simply re-add the patch on my end. But I do not have a strong
> opinion on this either, so if you prefer clean dependencies and
> ordering without duplicate patches, it is just as easy for me to leave
> the redundant patch out and restore the NEXT_BASE tag.

I prefer less dependencies (so you could put the patch back in), however,
that means if Greg changes the patch, then we will have two slightly
different versions to merge.  I can cope with that as well.

Just readd the patch :-)

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/