Subject: Re: [-next regression] lockdep? tracing? BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:08:31 +0100

* Eric Paris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 11:02 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > [ Added Peter Zijlstra ]
> > 
> > On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 10:48 -0500, Eric Paris wrote:
> > > Linux-next from Oct 30 did not have this problem.  Linux next from
> > > yesterday (and today) I always hit this on boot.
> > 
> > Could you also give the SHA1 of Linux-next, as well as the config you
> > used.
> 
> False alarm, apparently this is due to a patch that I added.  Odd part 
> is, I don't touch anything even remotely close to this section of 
> code. I'm at a bit of a lose, but apply my patch, boom, revert, works.
> 
> I'll figure it out eventually I guess.

When i saw your crash earlier today my first guess was memory 
corruption: lockdep is one of the first things to blow up on kernel data 
structure memory corruption. It tracks all locks and affects everything 
so gets hit first.

( Nevertheless we do have fresh changes in the tracing tree so some
  genuine lockdep/tracing crash was not implausible either. )

	Ingo