Subject: Re: linux-next: sound tree build failure

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:01:23 +1100

Hi Liam,

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:50:30 +0000 Liam Girdwood <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to re-order the merge sequence so that
> similar inter tree dependencies are less likely to cause -next build

Anything is possible with software :-)

> failures in the future.  I guess atm lots of driver trees can depend on
> MFD (e.g. regulator, sound, rtc, backlight, led, watchdog, etc) so it
> may be good to move it up the order.

In this case it would just have masked the dependency and we may not have
found it until the sound tree was merged into Linus' tree and builds
started failing.  (I now Mark already knew about this one.)  We actually
have very few build dependencies between trees and in most cases I would
prefer that they were exposed in linux-next than in Linus' tree (with the
ensuing bisection problems).

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/