Subject: Re: [PATCH] i2c: update for semaphore to mutex conversion of devices

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:27:09 -0800

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 12:50:37PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> 
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:59:53 -0800 Greg KH <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:28:28AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > I have been carrying this patch in linux-next for some time and now
> > > mainline needs it.
> > 
> > Well, it's not required, but it is nice to have.  I didn't merge the
> > "convert the driver core semaphore to a mutex" patch as it was causing
> > too many false-positive lockdep warnings.
> 
> Ah, I missed that, sorry.
> 
> Strangely, I was assuming that what was in linux-next would get merged :-)

That is normally the case, but when patches are found to have problems,
due to the testing that happens with linux-next, they can then be not
sent to Linus, right?

That's what happened here, we need more infrastructure to be able to
accept them.  I see it as a validation that our development model is
working properly that this happened :)

thanks,

greg k-h