Subject: Re: [PATCH] bfa: fix compilation warning in powerpc (resend)

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:12:17 -0700

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:22:29 -0700
Jing Huang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Fix the compilation warning in powerpc.

When fixing a warning, please quote that warning in the patch description!

<does a cross-build>

It seems that you're referring to this:

drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc.c: In function 'bfa_ioc_msgget':
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc.c:1331: warning: value computed is not used
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c: In function 'bfa_ioc_ct_notify_hbfail':
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c:177: warning: value computed is not used
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c:180: warning: value computed is not used
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c: In function 'bfa_ioc_ct_pll_init':
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c:381: warning: value computed is not used
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c: In function 'bfa_ioc_ct_ownership_reset':
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_ct.c:421: warning: value computed is not used
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_cb.c: In function 'bfa_ioc_cb_notify_hbfail':
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_cb.c:99: warning: value computed is not used
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_cb.c: In function 'bfa_ioc_cb_ownership_reset':
drivers/scsi/bfa/bfa_ioc_cb.c:272: warning: value computed is not used

> The same change also fixes endian
> issue we found in powerpc test.

When fixing a bug, please fully describe the bug!

If this driver has "endian issues" on powerpc then it's quite possible
that this is a running-around-with-hair-on-fire,
must-backport-to-2.6.33.x bugfix.

But how would I know?  You didn't tell me!