Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the backlight tree

From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 01:41:21 -0400

On Sunday 09 May 2010 22:43:04 Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> After merging the backlight tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) failed like this:
> 
> drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c: In function 'adp8860_led_probe':
> drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c:215: error: implicit declaration of
> function 'kzalloc' drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c:215: warning:
> assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
> drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c:285: error: implicit declaration of
> function 'kfree' drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c: In function
> 'adp8860_probe': drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c:673: warning:
> assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
> drivers/video/backlight/adp8860_bl.c:689: error: too few arguments to
> function 'backlight_device_register'
> 
> Caused by commit 6f1a02240dba279a389fd4a4138445bd3f13f67f ("backlight:
> new driver for the ADP8860 backlight parts").  Use of kzalloc or kfree
> requires including linux/slab.h (see Rule 1 in
> Documentation/SubmitChecklist) and the prototype of
> backlight_device_register changed before v2.6.34-rc2.

obviously the driver simply missed the tree-wide slab.h updates

Richard: you want a new version to replace the one in your tree ?  or a one 
line fix for this issue ?
-mike