Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:44:09 +1000

Hi Greg,

After merging the driver-core tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from include/linux/kobject.h:21,
                 from include/linux/device.h:17,
                 from arch/powerpc/lib/devres.c:10:
include/linux/sysfs.h:97: error: 'struct file' declared inside parameter list
include/linux/sysfs.h:97: error: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
include/linux/sysfs.h:99: error: 'struct file' declared inside parameter list
include/linux/sysfs.h:101: error: 'struct file' declared inside parameter list

and many more (arch/powerpc is built with -Werror (as do some other
architectures)) and lots of similar warnings ...

Caused by commit f8e898186196a22756b50b908ecd92123265f8a2 ("sysfs: add
struct file* to bin_attr callbacks").   See Rule 1 in
Documentation/SubmitChecklist.  The header file probably just needs
"struct file;" added in the right place.

I have reverted that commit for today (and commit
44e425ab9f887ec6d3a7a4481f3b0c99f120de19 ("pci: check caps from sysfs
file open to read device dependent config space") that depends on it).
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/