Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:38:12 +1000

Hi ,

After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
allyesconfig) failed like this:

*** glibc detected *** scripts/mod/modpost: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x00000000004095fc ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6(+0x71b16)[0x2b4f000b6b16]
scripts/mod/modpost[0x40284e]
scripts/mod/modpost[0x403aee]
scripts/mod/modpost[0x40446e]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd)[0x2b4f00063c4d]
scripts/mod/modpost[0x401219]
======= Memory map: ========
00400000-0040e000 r-xp 00000000 08:11 30327842                           /scratch/sfr/powerpc_allyesconfig/scripts/mod/modpost
0060d000-0060e000 rw-p 0000d000 08:11 30327842                           /scratch/sfr/powerpc_allyesconfig/scripts/mod/modpost
0060e000-00611000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 
006cf000-006f0000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0                                  [heap]
2b4effe25000-2b4effe43000 r-xp 00000000 08:01 483871                     /lib/ld-2.11.2.so
2b4effe43000-2b4effe45000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 
2b4effe45000-2b4efff9e000 rw-p 00000000 08:11 30334167                   /scratch/sfr/powerpc_allyesconfig/arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o
2b4f00042000-2b4f00043000 r--p 0001d000 08:01 483871                     /lib/ld-2.11.2.so
2b4f00043000-2b4f00044000 rw-p 0001e000 08:01 483871                     /lib/ld-2.11.2.so
2b4f00044000-2b4f00045000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 
2b4f00045000-2b4f0019d000 r-xp 00000000 08:01 483859                     /lib/libc-2.11.2.so
2b4f0019d000-2b4f0039c000 ---p 00158000 08:01 483859                     /lib/libc-2.11.2.so
2b4f0039c000-2b4f003a0000 r--p 00157000 08:01 483859                     /lib/libc-2.11.2.so
2b4f003a0000-2b4f003a1000 rw-p 0015b000 08:01 483859                     /lib/libc-2.11.2.so
2b4f003a1000-2b4f003a8000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 
2b4f003a8000-2b4f003be000 r-xp 00000000 08:01 482546                     /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
2b4f003be000-2b4f005bd000 ---p 00016000 08:01 482546                     /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
2b4f005bd000-2b4f005be000 rw-p 00015000 08:01 482546                     /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
7fffe11d6000-7fffe11f8000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0                          [stack]
7fffe11ff000-7fffe1200000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0                          [vdso]
ffffffffff600000-ffffffffff601000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0                  [vsyscall]
/bin/sh: line 1:  5229 Aborted                 scripts/mod/modpost arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o

I got this error a few times during that build and during the sparc64
defconfig build as well.

This was an x86_64 hosted build using libc 2.11.2 from Debian (so eglibc
based), gcc 4.4.4 and binutils 2.20.1-system.20100303.

The only patch new to linux-next since yesterday that affects scripts/mod
is commit 37ed19d5cce35a40d3913cf9aa208ce9f60db3d7
("scripts/mod/modpost.c: fix memory leak") from Linus' tree.

I have reverted that commit in linux-next for today as that makes the
error go away.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/