Subject: Re: linux-next: error importing i2c quilt series

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:13:27 +1100

Hi Jean,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:25:19 +0200 Jean Delvare <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I thought it was NEXT_BASE, with an underscore not dash?

Ah, yes, sorry ... (but my scripts actually handle either)

> And I also expected the trees to be merged in the order shows in:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git;a=blob;f=Next/Trees;hb=HEAD
> 
> As pci is listed before i2c, I (wrongly) concluded that everything
> would be fine even without using NEXT_BASE. I stand corrected.

What actually happens is
	I fetch all the trees and quilt series
	I import the quilt series to git branches
	I merge the trees.

So you cannot depend on the merge order (which sometimes changes as
well).  This makes sense since I have no influence over the order that
the trees get merged by Linus ... If there are dependencies, they need to
be explicit, sorry, using NEXT_BASE in quilt series or merging (sub)
trees for git.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/