Subject: Section msimatch warnings (Was: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (net-current tree related))

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:04:27 +1100

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:36:36 -0700 Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> The section mismatch warning on x86 is not shown by default
> because there are still so many problems.

This is actually different - it is generated by the compiler.  I am not
sure why we only get them on PowerPC.  Rusty suggested that we could
dynamically create a file that just referenced all the EXPORTed symbols
(we know what they are) and try to link that.  Then we would find all the
static ones.  PowerPC would still find them earlier, of course, but since
a lot of poeple only compile for x86(_64), they may not get as far as the
PowerPC builds.

The other section mismatch warnings (generated by an external program)
are certainly suppressed by default on all architectures.  I enable them
for some of my builds, and it is not too bad at the moment (apart from a
couple of particular subsystems - and Sparc :-)).  I suspect that if we
reenabled them by default, they would be fixed fairly quickly.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/