Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for November 18

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:33:00 +1100

Hi Boaz,

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:25:22 +0200 Boaz Harrosh <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> The uml build from:
>         http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/2979/
> 
> is failing compilation like:
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> /opt/crosstool/gcc-4.2.3-glibc-2.3.6/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld:arch/um/kernel/vmlinux.lds:231: parse error
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
> /opt/crosstool/gcc-4.2.3-glibc-2.3.6/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/i386-unknown-linux-gnu-nm: '.tmp_vmlinux1': No such file
> No valid symbol.
> make[1]: *** [.tmp_kallsyms1.S] Error 1
> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> make failed, trying to bisect ..
> 
> It looks like a build environment setup problem because it's fine here
> (for x86_64 at least.) Who is the person responsible for the above URL
> compilation please?

I am (at least partially) responsible for that build environment.

We only started getting that build failure with next-20101115 (it may
have been present before then but masked by other build failures), and
our build system hasn't changed in quite some time ...  In fact, before
next-20100915, the um i386 build used to succeed.

The build we are doing is 32 bit (not 64 bit).  We are in the process of
getting a newer tool chain, but I am not sure when that will happen.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/