Subject: Re: linux-next: unsigned commit ...

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:46:26 +1100

Hi James,

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:21:00 +1100 (EST) James Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> 
> I noticed it and pointed it out to Casey, who is converting over to 
> pushing git to me instead of posting patch sets.

OK, so learning, I guess.

> If I'm pulling from someone's repo, it means I trust them enough not to 
> need to personally review each line of change.
> 
> Can this be fixed with git-commit --amend ?

In Casey's tree it can.  But then you would need to remerge his tree into
yours.  That would leave us with both versions of the commit in your tree.

If, however, you first do a "git reset --hard HEAD^" on your tree
(assuming that the old merge is still at the top), then it will be like
the old merge was never done.   This, however will disrupt anyone who's
tree is built on top of yours and has merged your tree (or rebased on top
of it) while that old merge was there (just like if you rebased your
tree).

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/