Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix build failure when CONFIG_NLS is set to 'm' by allmodconfig

From: Matthew Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:17:34 +0000

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 06:24:31PM +0530, [email-masked] wrote:

> This patch fixes the following build breakage introduced by the patch
> '[PATCH V3] Export ACPI _DSM provided firmware instance number and string to
> sysfs'.

First, you should include this as part of your original patch so that 
the build doesn't break during bisection.

> This is fixed by making fs/nls/nls_base.c compile conditionally into
> vmlinux by introducing a new config option CONFIG_NLS_BASE which is
> selected by (ACPI || DMI || NLS).

Why?

> -obj-$(CONFIG_NLS)		+= nls/
> +obj-y				+= nls/

You seem to have just broken building any of the NLS code as modules.

>  menuconfig NLS
>  	tristate "Native language support"
> +	select NLS_BASE

All CONFIG_NLS does is build nls_base.

> +config NLS_BASE
> +	bool "Base NLS functions"
> +	depends on ACPI || DMI

What in this code depends on ACPI or DMI?

> -obj-$(CONFIG_NLS)		+= nls_base.o
> +obj-$(CONFIG_NLS_BASE)		+= nls_base.o

And why make this change?

Just have something like

select NLS if (ACPI || DMI)

in drivers/pci/Kconfig.

-- 
Matthew Garrett | [email-masked]