Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the async_tx tree with Linus' tree

From: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 09:53:36 +0200

Hi Stephen, Dan,

On Fri, 27 May 2011 13:30:03 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Today's linux-next merge of the async_tx tree got a conflict in
> drivers/dma/dw_dmac.c between commit e05503ef1186 ("Haavard Skinnemoen
> has left Atmel") from Linus' tree and commit aecb7b64dd9e
> ("dmaengine/dw_dmac: Update maintainer-ship") from the async_tx tree.
> 
> Just context changes.  I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as
> necessary.

Dan's patch is just plain wrong. MODULE_AUTHOR is about who wrote the
code, not who maintains it. A change of maintainer should lead to an
update or addition to file MAINTAINERS.

Thanks Viresh for stepping in, BTW, new maintainers are always welcome.

(As a side note, the relevance of MODULE_AUTHOR given the development
and maintenance model the Linux kernel has embraced can certainly be
discussed, but that's a different story.)

-- 
Jean Delvare