Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Aug 22 (evm)

From: Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:53:55 -0700

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:53:04 +1000 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> [The kernel.org mirroring is a bit low today]

(on x86_64:)

When CONFIG_EVM=y, CONFIG_CRYPTO_HASH2=m, CONFIG_TRUSTED_KEYS=m,
CONFIG_ENCRYPTED_KEYS=m, the build fails with:

(.text+0x378aa): undefined reference to `key_type_encrypted'
evm_crypto.c:(.text+0x37992): undefined reference to `crypto_alloc_shash'
evm_crypto.c:(.text+0x37a24): undefined reference to `crypto_shash_setkey'
evm_crypto.c:(.text+0x37ad9): undefined reference to `crypto_shash_update'
evm_crypto.c:(.text+0x37aeb): undefined reference to `crypto_shash_final'
(.text+0x37b4b): undefined reference to `crypto_shash_update'
(.text+0x37c61): undefined reference to `crypto_shash_update'
(.text+0x37cb9): undefined reference to `crypto_shash_update'

even though EVM (Kconfig) selects ENCRYPTED_KEYS and TRUSTED_KEYS..
and even after I add "select CRYPTO_HASH2".

Is this because EVM is bool and kconfig is confused about 'select's
when a bool is selecting tristates?  Shouldn't the tristates become
'y' instead of 'm' if they are selected by a bool that is 'y'?

xconfig shows these symbol values:

Symbol: EVM [=y]
Type : boolean
Prompt: EVM support
Defined at security/integrity/evm/Kconfig:1
Depends on: SECURITY [=y] && KEYS [=y] && TCG_TPM [=m]
Location:
-> Security options
Selects: CRYPTO_HMAC [=m] && CRYPTO_MD5 [=m] && CRYPTO_SHA1 [=m] && CRYPTO_HASH2 [=m] && ENCRYPTED_KEYS [=m] && TRUSTED_KEYS [=m]

Hm, changing TCG_TPM to =y also changes TRUSTED_KEYS and ENCRYPTED_KEYS and
lots of CRYPTO_ symbols from =m to =y.  There must be some kind of min/max
symbol checking that is confused?

---
~Randy
*** Remember to use Documentation/SubmitChecklist when testing your code ***