Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm tree

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:19:58 -0800

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 06:29:37PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> After merging the akpm tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
> 
> drivers/base/memory.c: In function 'memory_block_change_state':
> drivers/base/memory.c:306:22: error: 'struct memory_block' has no member named 'sysdev'
> drivers/base/memory.c:309:22: error: 'struct memory_block' has no member named 'sysdev'
> 
> Caused by commit 2691cc121386 ("kdump: add udev events for memory
> online/offline") interacting with commit 10fbcf4c6cb1 ("convert 'memory'
> sysdev_class to a regular subsystem") from the driver-core tree.

I can't recall this kdump patch coming through before, have I seen it?
creating new uevents is not something to be done lightly, has this been
tested with the existing userspace tools to make sure it doesn't cause
problems?

thanks,

greg k-h