Subject: Re: linux-next: merge of the arm tree into the at91 tree

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:23:04 +0000

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:36:19AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> I noticed that the for-next branch of the arm tree has been merged into
> the at91 tree.  My understanding (and Russell, please correct me if I am
> wrong) is that the for-next branch is *not* stable and may be rebased.
> This will cause all sorts of problems in linux-next in the future (and
> also when Russell or the arm=soc guys merge the at91 tree into theirs).

And has already been rebuilt (I won't use 'rebased' because that's really
not what happens to it.)  I've already re-explained this to Nicolas.  It's
equivalent to someone basing their work off linux-next and expecting to
have that pulled into some other tree.

What's even worse is that Nicolas has published this as an official
branch for other people.

> In fact, I am going to have problems today as Russell has already rebase
> his for-next branch.  :-(

I suggest that you drop the at91 tree this time around if you get
conflicts.

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of: