Subject: Re: [PATCH] sound: fix trivial build error in mpc5200_dma.c

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:27:29 +0000

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 07:43:20PM -0500, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Mark Brown

> > The first line of the changelog which gets treated specially in various
> > ways.

> Automated scripts?  Something else?   I'd be interested to know.

Things that use log summaries like git send-email and request-pull which
pick out the first line of the changelog and do something different with
it.

> I have to admit being confused by this as well.  I paged through the
> git whatchanged info, and guessed that I should have used a prefix
> like "ASoC: mpc5200_dma" (camelcase sic) but I think that to expect
> that level of awareness from general contributors is probably expecting
> a bit much.  I like to think I'm not totally clueless, but I would have
> never thought of the above in advance...

Well, most people seem to manage to get it right (I expect on the basis
that they write a log which looks like the other logs for the code).  If
you're thinking far enough to put a subsystem prefix on the commit log
in the first place it seems reasonable to expect one that's in use
rather than just creating one.

> In any case, if I have further fixups I happen across, I will try to feed
> your bots the correct prefix.

It's nothing custom on my side, I only use the vanilla git porcelain
(though I do do things like grepping mailing lists visually so when
things aren't CCed properly I'm less likely to notice the mailing list
version of them).  I'd expect there are people with subject line based
filters, though - patchwork might care for example.