Subject: Re: fix for "error: implicit declaration of function 'devres_alloc'" in Mar9 tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:48:47 +0000

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 10:11:56AM -0500, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> drivers/base/regmap/regmap.c:421: error: implicit declaration of function 'dev_err'
> make[4]: *** [drivers/base/regmap/regmap.o] Error 1

> This is caused by commit 19694b5ea1d3 which just appeared in today's next
> tree exposing another implicit device.h user.  Just a quick note that I'll
> take care of it by adding regmap.c to the below commit.

No, it's not caused by that - in the subsystem tree there's an explicit
inclusion of linux/device.h in the public header which is what is being
relied on here.  You've gone and deleted that inclusion without CCing
the patch to the subsystem and now you're sending a fix again without a
CC to either me or the relevant list, and without even a mention in the
subject line.

In order to avoid bisection breakage I've applied one of the several
fixes for this that were sent to me today, please drop your change.

This stuff would go a lot more smoothly if you were to at least let
people know when you make changes, especially when issues introduced by
your changes get noticed.