Subject: Re: [PATCH] ARM: pxa: fix build failure for regulator consumer in em-x270.c

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:54:37 +0100

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 04:28:48PM +0200, Igor Grinberg wrote:
> On 03/28/12 18:59, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> >>> static struct platform_device em_x270_gps_userspace_consumer = {
> >>>         .name           = "reg-userspace-consumer",
> >>>         .id             = 0,

> >>> static struct platform_device em_x270_gprs_userspace_consumer = {
> >>>         .name           = "reg-userspace-consumer",
> >>>         .id             = 1,

> > -REGULATOR_CONSUMER(ldo19, "reg-userspace-consumer", "vcc gprs");
> > +REGULATOR_CONSUMER(ldo19, "reg-userspace-consumer.1", "vcc gprs");

> Well, I thought of this solution, but I don't like it, as it makes
> the whole thing very fragile and sensitive to the reg-userspace-consumer
> platform device registration order and count, isn't it?
> (That's why I proposed to use NULL...).

No the platform device numbering should be totally stable for a given
board unless someone deliberately sets out to renumber them - the .ids
are explicitly assigned by the board when it registers the device.

> So, Mark, how do you think the above issues can be handled without
> putting NULL into the dev_name?

It shouldn't be a problem I think.