Subject: linux-next: triage for April 2, 2012

From: Paul Gortmaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 22:38:36 -0400

This represents the state of the builds as of Monday.  Note that
we are now also possibly looking at some queued 3.5 content.

Continuing from the prev. report, I'll just give an arch summary
with respect to the system.h status vs. repeating a bunch of
data for each defconfig.

Fixes were in for sparc, s390, ppc, m68k via their maintainers.

I expanded the patch queue I did Sunday to include alpha, so these
should be now sorted out:

   alpha: include/linux/llist.h: asm/cmpxchg.h: No such file or directory
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6000253/

   or32: include/asm-generic/cmpxchg.h: error: expected ')' before 'u8'
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6000411/

   parisc: include/linux/llist.h: fatal: asm/cmpxchg.h: No such file or directory
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6000168/

   bfin: include/asm-generic/cmpxchg.h: error: redefinition of '__xchg'
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6000322/

   MIPS: system.h breakup wasn't tested on master with bug.h change.
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6000165/

I added some Acked-by and dropped the sh/tile fixes in that series.
The avr32 nop fix I've left as is until I've got more info, but it
is at the end of the series now for ease of modification if needed.

Remaining arch:

 ARM:   looks a lot better. There are still some new fails that were
	not there a couple of days ago, such as s3c2410_defconfig
	and tct_hammer_defconfig -- to be fair, I don't know for
	sure if these are system.h related since I've not yet
	researched them in any detail.  And the kallsyms extra
	pass continues to appear at random due to alignment.

 tile:	This failure may briefly return as the fix is moving from my
	tree to the tile tree:
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6000412/

 parisc[64]: The system.h dismantle was supposed to fix the error
	implicit declaration of function 'fls' -- relating to an
	include loop.  But it still shows up in allmodconfig:
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6029862/

 SH4:	We got about 50% pass on builds which was a win vs. the
	100% fail we've had for a long time.  It may briefly go back
	to 100% fail as I've dropped my sh4 patch and Stephen is getting
	the tree info from PaulM who has a more complete fix series.

Note wrt. the blackfin (Not specific to system.h):
	We've gone from 100% fail to about 60% fail.  It seems that 
	hiding behind other regressions was a "Error: pcrel too far
	BFD_RELOC_BFIN_10" from kernel/time/timekeeping.c -- I see
	that sfr & MikeF discussed this earlier; maybe needs revisit?
	http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-next/msg16154.html

 ==============================================
	
New breakage since last report:
	ARM:pxa3xx_defconfig (ignore it; kallsyms extra pass)
	ia64: processor_idle.c: implicit declaration of function 'halt'

Randconfig fails that may or may not be new (by their very nature):
	i386: fs/binfmt_misc.o: copy_from_user_overflow' not provably correct
		http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6029837/
        powerpc: mpc512x_shared.c: parameter 1 ('port') has incomplete type
		http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6029918/

Builds that are fixed since last report:
	ARM:magician_defconfig
	ARM:iop32x_defconfig,iop33x_defconfig
	ARM:em_x270_defconfig
	AVR32:defconfig

Note: The randconfig fails are only listed once and not tracked
in the below listing.

            ------------------------------------------------

Latest results at:
	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/branch/9/

Failures as of April 2nd, 2012:
===============================

AM33:asb2303_defconfig,asb2364_defconfig
	when:	Mar 15
	why:	cc1: error: unrecognized command line option '-mmem-funcs'
	status:	Possible fix from TonyB sent for review.
	fix:	http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=133185020313818&w=2
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5878400/
----------------

ARM:netx_defconfig,pnx4008_defconfig 
	when:	Mar 14
	why:	net/core/pktgen.c: can't find a register in class 'GENERAL_REGS'
	status:	
	fix:	
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5869486/
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/13/670

ARM:collie_defconfig
	when:	Feb 14
	why:	locomolcd.c: error: 'sa1100fb_lcd_power' undeclared
	status:	fixed (PaulG) - pending integration
	fix:	http://marc.info/?l=linux-next&m=133105157730749&w=2
	ref:

ARM:ixp4xx_defconfig
	when:	Oct 26
	why:	gpio.h: implicit declaration of function '__gpio_get_value'
	status:	fixed (Imre Kaloz) - but possibly needs rework?
	fix:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/8/288
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/8/287

ARM:raumfeld_defconfig
	when:	Nov 23
	why:	eeti_ts.c: implicit declaration of function 'irq_to_gpio'
	status:	perhaps broken since 2010?  See ref below.
	fix:	
	ref:	http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1291618?do=post_view_threaded#1291618

ARM:arm-allnoconfig
	when:	forever
	why:	not supported
	status:	nothing pending, but patches accepted
	fix:	n/a
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/30/105
	ref:	http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-January/081218.html
----------------

AVR32:allnoconfig
	when:	May 26 2010, 20:49
	why:	at32_map_usart: undefined reference to `atmel_default_console_device'
	status:
	fix:
	ref:
---------------

bfin: 50% of builds
	when:	Mar 31
	why:	"Error: pcrel too far BFD_RELOC_BFIN_10" from kernel/time/timekeeping.c
	status:	unknown, binutils issue?
	fix:
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5981475/
---------------

cris:***all-builds***
	when:	Mar 25, 22:05
	why:	include/linux/types.h:25: error expected ... before 'ino_t'
	status:	
	fix:	
	ref:	
----------------

crisv32:***all-builds***
	when:	Mar 25, 22:05
	why:	include/linux/types.h:25: error expected ... before 'ino_t'
	status:	
	fix:	
	ref:	
----------------

frv:defconfig
	when:	Mar 15
	why:	undefined reference to `pci_cardbus_resource_alignment'
	status:
	fix:
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6030067/
----------------

ia64:defconfig
	when:	Apr 2
	why:	processor_idle.c: implicit declaration of function 'halt'
	status:	
	fix:	
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6029643/
----------------

h8300:defconfig
	when:	Mar 15
	why:	time.c: implicit declaration of function 'get_irq_regs'
	why:	also seems gcc suffers an ICE
	status:	ICE bug lodged with gcc folks (TonyB)
	fix:
	ref:	http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=52598
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5884668/
----------------

i386:allmodconfig
	when:	Mar 8, 20:41
	why:	ERROR: "mdfld_set_brightness" [drivers/gpu/drm/gma500/gma500_gfx.ko] undefined!
	status:	
	fix:
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/24/122
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5878506/
----------------

m32r:m32700ut.smp_defconfig
	when:	Mar 15
	why:	No rule to make target `arch/m32r/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin
	status:
	fix:
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5884670/
----------------

m68k:allmodconfig
	when:	Mar 16
	why:	persistent_ram.c: implicit declaration of 'memblock_reserve'
	status:	
	fix:	
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5884324/
	ref:	http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-next/msg19343.html
----------------

mips:allmodconfig
	when:
	why:	driver_pci_host.c: implicit declaration of function 'pcibios_enable_device'
	status: one of many fixes mips needs...
	fix:	http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=133272031621916&w=2
	ref:	http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/148614/
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5807000/
----------------

parisc:allmodconfig
	when:
	why:	include/linux/log2.h: implicit declaration of function 'fls'
	status:	reported by PaulG, WIP by David Howells 
	fix:
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/29/409
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/6/228

parisc64:a500_defconfig 
	when:
	why:	include/linux/log2.h: implicit declaration of function 'fls'
	status:	reported by PaulG, WIP by David Howells 
	fix:
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/29/409
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/6/228
------------------

powerpc:allyesconfig
	when:	May 18 2009, 22:11
	why:	fat ass kernel with everything simply won't link
	status:	need to fix build config to ignore the final link
	fix:	
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5806793/
------------------

sh4:***all-builds***
	when:	Feb 24, 17:38
	why:	include/linux/log2.h: implicit declaration of function 'fls'
	status:	reported by PaulG, WIP by David Howells 
	fix:
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/29/409
	ref:	https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/6/228
------------------

um:um-defconfig
	when:	Sep 16 2010, 01:28
	why:	os-Linux/start_up.c: error: 'PTRACE_SETOPTIONS' undeclared
	status:	clearly broken forever, so does anyone care?
	fix:	
	ref:	http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/2979/
Cc: 
Bcc: 
Subject: sdf
Reply-To: