Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Apr 12

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:24:15 -0700

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:59:31 +1000
Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have created today's linux-next tree at
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git

This isn't working for me.  Some time between April 3 and April 12
someone merged something into the non-mm part of linux-next which broke
ssh.

I boot the box and everything seems to come up OK, but attemtps to ssh
into the machine fail with

X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
Last login: Thu Apr 12 13:04:35 2012 from akpm.corp.google.com
Connection to akpm2 closed.

I took a peek in the `strace ssh' output.

Good:

17815 write(5, "Last login: Thu Apr 12 13:27:23 "..., 65) = 65
17815 select(7, [3 4], [], NULL, {120, 0}) = 1 (in [3], left {119, 770798})
17815 read(3, "\21O\200\366Mv\343\222\332\251\2403L\376Y18\2047\336\244\226p-+X\2%\2119\314\255"..., 8192) = 80
17815 select(7, [3 4], [5], NULL, {120, 0}) = 1 (out [5], left {119, 999987})
17815 write(5, "\r\33[m\17\33[27m\33[24m\33[Jakpm2:/home/ak"..., 39) = 39
17815 select(7, [3 4], [], NULL, {120, 0}) = 1 (in [4], left {118, 801111})
17815 read(4, "\4", 16384)              = 1
17815 select(7, [3 4], [3], NULL, {120, 0}) = 1 (out [3], left {119, 999991})
17815 write(3, "\235J\5\340\234\21\266\207\26e\362\327\2\332\1\267\272\200\364\267?/\320L\341\35\350{+M:\222"..., 48) = 48

Bad:

9305  write(5, "Last login: Thu Apr 12 13:02:54 "..., 65) = 65
9305  select(7, [3 4], [], NULL, {120, 0}) = 1 (in [3], left {119, 945541})
9305  read(3, "f\357\250~\260i\2259\320\3258\262)O\364;_\251\360-\314\31\374]\326\300\356\364\370S\3105"..., 8192) = 128
9305  close(5)                          = 0
9305  close(4)                          = 0

That read() is returning a lot more data.

It appears that we've done something which breaks X forwarding.  I
won't be able to look any further into this until Monday.