Subject: Re: linux-next: boot problem with next-20120607

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:05:49 -0700

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:53:20 +1000
Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
> 
> My boot of next-20120607 in PowerPC produces lots of these warnings:
> 
> BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:c000000278508000 idx:0 val:-27
> BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:c000000278284000 idx:0 val:-27
> BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:c000000279e13000 idx:0 val:-27
> BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:c000000278285400 idx:0 val:-27
> 
> And so on (with different mm, idx and val numbers).  Searching showed me
> commit "mm: correctly synchronize rss-counters at exit/exec" which seems
> to be there to fix this exact problem?

Well that's a worry.  Are you really sure
mm-correctly-synchronize-rss-counters-at-exit-exec.patch was applied at
the time?

There's been an extended amount of inconclusive waffling on that patch,
but I thought it concerned the best way to fix it, rather than
*whether* it fixes it.