Subject: Re: linux-next: bad merge in driver-core.current tree

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:08:45 -0800

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:05:40AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> 
> Happy New year!  ;-)
> 
> Today you added a merge of v3.8-rc2 to the driver-core.current tree.  It
> added the file drivers/i2c/Module.symvers which is a generated file :-(

Yeah, I realized that after sending it to Linus :(

> Please consider rebuilding your tree to get rid of it.

It's now rebuilt.

> Also, you might consider removing all the patches that remove the
> __dev* stuff as they are really not urgent, cause many conflicts (and
> will continue to do so) and most (if not all) are not acked by the
> maintainers of the subsystems that they should be applied to (did you
> send your revised versions of Bill's patches to those maintainers?).
> You might consider sending separate patches to fix the coding style
> problems after Bill's patches rather than modifying Bill's patches as
> some of Bill's patches are turning up in other subsystems (as happened
> with i2c).

I'd really like to just be rid of these __dev* markings now, instead of
dragging it out over two kernel releases.  The patches are now all fixed
up properly, and I'll be sending a new merge request to Linus right
after this after the git tree is mirrored properly.

thanks,

greg k-h