Subject: Re: linux-next: comment in commit in the slave-dma tree (dmaengine: dw_dmac: Enhance device tree support)

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:43:08 -0800

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:35:57AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Vinod,
> 
> In commit 548860697046 ("dmaengine: dw_dmac: Enhance device tree
> support") (which was changed since yesterday :-(), an instance of
> __devinit has been added.  We are in the process of making CONFIG_HOTPLUG
> always true, and since commit 78d86c213f28 ("init.h: Remove __dev*
> sections from the kernel") (included in v3.7), __devinit does nothing.
> Please do not add any more.

That brings up something I wanted to ask you.

I'd like to send a patch to Linus to just delete __devinit and friends
entirely from init.h, but that will break the linux-next tree from
building in places (like this one, and in a few others.)

Is that ok?  That should finally get everyone's attention and keep them
from the cargo-cult programming mode of using these attributes :)

thanks,

greg k-h