Subject: Re: [PATCH] leds-ot200: Fix error caused by shifted mask

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:12:11 -0800

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:08:15 +0100
Christian Gmeiner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ping

Bryan is handling LEDs patches (see ./MAINTAINERS).  Without a cc he
presumably missed this in the lkml flood.

> 2013/1/23 GMEINER.Christian <[email-masked]>:
> >> -----Urspr__ngliche Nachricht-----
> >> Von: Christian Gmeiner [mailto:[email-masked]]
> >> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013 09:11
> >> An: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> >> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; GMEINER.Christian
> >> Cc: Christian Gmeiner
> >> Betreff: [PATCH] leds-ot200: Fix error caused by shifted mask
> >>
> >> During the development of this driver an in-house register documentation
> >> was used. The last weeks some integration tests were done and this problem
> >> was found. It turned out that the released register documentation is wrong.
> >>
> >> The fix is very simple: shift all masks by one.
> >>

The changelog failed to describe the effects of the bug it fixes.  This
is a grave (and all too common) omission; it makes it difficult for
others to determine whether the patch should be backported into earlier
kernels.

So, please tell us.  And feel free to explain whether you believe the
fix should be backported.