Subject: Re: [PATCH -next] sound/soc/codecs: Mark snd-soc-wm2200 and snd-soc-wm-adsp as BROKEN

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 17:12:29 +0000

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:12:27AM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:

> The linux-next tree has failed to build for last 7 days with these
> errors:

In some pretty specific and basically unrealistic configurations rather
than anything a human is likely to want to use or the core automatic
ones.

>   MODPOST 2490 modules
>   ERROR: "arizona_rate_text" [sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-wm-adsp.ko] undefined!
>   ERROR: "arizona_rate_val" [sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-wm-adsp.ko] undefined!
>   WARNING: modpost: Found 5 section mismatch(es).

> Patches submitted by Xiong Zhou <[email-masked]> to fix this
> have been rejected.

> Until the author(s) resolve the situation, mark the offenders as BROKEN.

I'm not going to apply this, it's clearly not a constructive or helpful
effort to address the issue - it's not engaging with any of the
discussion about how to resolve the issue (there's no mention of the
suggested fix for example).

If you're going to run randconfigs that's great and the testing is
useful but if you're going to send patches as well as reports it would
be really helpful to look at what the code is doing so that the change
makes sense rather than just sending the first thing that springs to
mind.  The smarter the stuff that gets sent is the more likely it is to
either get merged or encourage people to work on the problem.

In this case it seems like Xiong is likely to fix things and it'd be
much better overall to get a fix from Xiong merged (which we seem to be
progressing towards).