Subject: Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the origintree

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 05:51:44 +0100

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 01:19:26PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> After merging the akpm tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) produced this warning:
> 
> drivers/md/bcache/super.c:656:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
> drivers/md/bcache/super.c:656:2: warning: (near initialization for 'bcache_ops.release') [enabled by default]
> 
> Introduced by commit cafe56359144 ("bcache: A block layer cache")
> interacting with commit db2a144bedd5 ("block_device_operations->release()
> should return void").

Simply drop that return 0; and make it return void.  Or just leave it as is
for now - while C implementation has every right to blow up when calling a
function that returns int as if it had been a function returning void (e.g.
C ABI might have return value for int passed as it's usually done for big
structs), AFAIK, none of the architectures we support do anything of that
kind.