Subject: Re: linux-next: please add queue for removal of __cpuinit and friends.

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:22:02 +1000

Hi Paul,

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:27:02 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Would you please add the patch queue below to linux-next for
> the remainder of this week and the two weeks of the merge window?

Maybe.  I will see how much pain it causes me.

> It is the patch queue for removal of __cpuinit ; a git repository
> of patches with a series file that can be browsed here:
> 
>   http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/paulg/cpuinit-delete.git
> 
> or cloned directly from here:
> 
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/cpuinit-delete.git
> 
> and the deletion and merge strategy was described here previously:
> 
>   https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/6/20/513

Yeah, I should have responded to that.  Given that the meat of this
series is the first 2 patches (the rest is merely cleaning up the uses of
the now mulled out macros, right) I think it would have been better (i.e.
easier for me :-)) if you had a git tree based on v3.10-rc<something> and
then did a sweep after v3.11-rc1 was out to clean up the rest.

> I do not expect any significant changes to the repository going forward.
> Perhaps adding a couple more "Acked-by:" tags, and dropping a couple
> patches for when maintainers request to carry them locally.  So I hope
> it should not be a big burden.  And it is a one-shot tree as well.

The problem is that it is based on shifting sands i.e. linux-next.  This
means that I will have to rebase it each day onto the new linux-next just
before I release it.  I already do this with Andrew's tree and that is a
bit of a pain already.

It also means (given that some linus-next included trees do not actually
get merged for -rc1), that some of these patches may never apply cleanly
to Linus' tree.

I will try it today and see how we go.  I assume that the current set of
patches is based on next-20130625?

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]